This page summarises how to catch Big-mouth Clam.
About Big-mouth Clam
- Cooking: Zesty Clam Meat makes Undermine Clam Chowder (restores 1392 health over 30 sec, requires Level 35). Zesty Clam Meat is also required for the Cooking Artisan quest Clamlette Surprise.
- Other Professions: Pearls are used by Blacksmiths, Enchanters, Jewelcrafters and Leatherworkers.
Vendor Value: 46c (but 50c for the Zesty Clam Meat inside alone).
Auction Value: Pearls may sell at auction. Golden Pearls were valuable until the appearance of Jaggal Clam in Outland. Golden Pearls are now worth less than 2g.
Catching Big-mouth Clam
Detailed mapping of hard to find areas is shown below.
Time: Cannot be caught 00:00-06:00, except in the Bay of Storms area of Azshara.
Commentary: Up to about 10% of the catch from open water will be Big-mouth Clam. In contrast, about a third of appropriate level naga-like monsters drop Big-mouth Clams on death. This makes killing monsters a far quicker way of gathering clams than fishing. All Big-mouth Clams contain Zesty Clam Meat, but few contain pearls. Less than 1 in 100 will contain a Golden Pearl: On average, over 1000 catches per Golden Pearl.
|Water/pool type||Minimum skill||Areas||Catch Rate||Commonly caught fish|
|To cast||To avoid get aways||% of Catch||Source|
|Open Water - Coastal||205||300||0-12% ||Sample: 2848.|
|330||425||6-12% ||Sample: 857.|
- Best catch rate 12:00-18:00.
- Best catch rate 00:00-06:00.
The catch rate is the approximate proportion of all catches in the area from the water/pool type that are the named fish.
- Valuable Fish - This chapter will help you catch fish of value.
- Variation by Time - This topic explores how catch rates for fish vary by time of day.
- The Role of Skill - This topic considers the role skill plays in fishing, including how skill changes the proportion of fish that "get away".
- Zone Base Fishing Skill - This topic attempts to answer the question, what fishing skill will I need to fish in a certain zone?
- Gazetteer - This topic develops a simple gazetteer that shows which fish may be caught in which zones.