This page summarises how to catch Deviate Fish. For a more detailed guide, see Catching Deviate Fish.
About Deviate Fish
- Food: Uncooked - gives one of several "buffs": Additional Spirit ((+5 for 30 minutes)) or health (an instant heal or rejuvenation over time), reductions in Stamina and Strength for 2 minutes, 30 seconds of sleep, or random dancing and waving (("Party Time", for 2 minutes)).
- Cooking: Savory Deviate Delight - gives one of two buffs when eaten: Changing the person eating it into either a pirate (("Yaaarrrr")) or a ninja (("Flip Out")) for an hour.
- Alchemy: Elixir of Giant Growth (1 fish).
Vendor Value: 4c.
Auction Value: Savory Deviate Delight sell very well at auction, particularly on Alliance markets - 50s each. Unfortunately, the recipe required to cook Deviate Fish is only rarely carried by creatures in The Barrens: Expect to pay 20g for it at auction, or spend a lot of time killing for it. For those prepared to invest in the recipe, auctioning Savory Deviate Delight is probably the best way to make money at low/medium level.
Catching Deviate Fish
Detailed mapping of hard to find areas is shown below.
Notes: Can only be caught from the waters of three oases in The Barrens (The Forgotten Pools, Lushwater Oasis and The Stagnant Oasis), School of Deviate Fish in the same waters, or the waters of The Wailing Caverns (both the approach tunnel and dungeon).
Detailed Guide: Catching Deviate Fish - How to catch Deviate Fish, which may be cooked to make Savory Deviate Delight.
Commentary: 30% of the catch from open water will be Deviate Fish. There is no clear difference in catch rate between the oases and The Wailing Caverns. School of Deviate Fish reappear quickly, but force the fisherman or woman to continually move between oases. Overall, pool fishing will give the greatest catch, unless you are unmounted, competing against many other people who are fishing pools, or likely to be attacked. The Wailing Caverns are the safest location to fish by those above level 30.
|Water/pool type||Minimum skill||Areas||Catch Rate||Commonly caught fish|
|To cast||To avoid get aways||% of Catch||Source|
|Open Water - Inland||1||75~||30%||Sample: 1364.|
|School of Deviate Fish - Inland||1||75~||85%||Sample: 221.|
~: Approximate value.
The catch rate is the approximate proportion of all catches in the area from the water/pool type that are the named fish.
- Getting Started - Read this chapter if you are new to fishing, or have only just started fishing.
- Valuable Fish - This chapter will help you catch fish of value.
- Pools and Wreckage - This chapter will help you fish among schools and floating debris.
- Catching Deviate Fish - How to catch Deviate Fish, which may be cooked to make Savory Deviate Delight.
- The Role of Skill - This topic considers the role skill plays in fishing, including how skill changes the proportion of fish that "get away".
- Zone Base Fishing Skill - This topic attempts to answer the question, what fishing skill will I need to fish in a certain zone?
- Gazetteer - This topic develops a simple gazetteer that shows which fish may be caught in which zones.