This page summarises how to catch Golden Darter.
About Golden Darter
Usage: Cooking: Golden Fish Sticks (restores 7500 health over 30 sec, increase healing done by 44 and Spirit by 20 for 30 min, requires Level 55).
Vendor Value: 8c.
Auction Value: Golden Fish Sticks sell for about 1g 25s each.
Catching Golden Darter
Detailed mapping of hard to find areas is shown below.
Notes: School of Darter are only found in parts of Terokkar Forest accessible without a flying mount. All areas with Highland Mixed Schools require a flying mount or (Druid) flight ability to reach. There are no pools in Silmyr Lake.
Commentary: Until patch 2.4 there was no efficient way to catch Golden Darter: School of Darter were hard to find, Highland Mixed Schools were even harder to find, and open water only gave about 22% Darter. Now all the pools in low-lying parts of Terokkar Forest contain Golden Darter (about 80% of School of Darter and 50% of Brackish Mixed Schools). There are only 17 or 18 possible spawning points, which take about an hour to reappear, so you may not be able to fish these pools continually. Pools in Zangarmarsh may be Brackish, Sporefish, or Steam Pump Flotsam. Due to the way pools appear, you may have to fish all 3 pool types to sustain Darter fishing, however there are many more pool spawning points in Zangarmarsh, so pool fishing can be easily sustained. Parts of Zangarmarsh also have slightly lower fishing skill requirements (305 compared to 355), so are easier to fish by those still learning. Read more detailed analysis of why pool fishing is quicker.
History: 2.4: Found in new Brackish Mixed Schools.
|Water/pool type||Minimum skill||Areas||Catch Rate||Commonly caught fish|
|To cast||To avoid get aways||% of Catch||Source|
|Brackish Mixed School - Inland||305||400||50%||Sample: 145.|
|Highland Mixed School - Inland||405||500||17%||Sample: 1060.|
|Open Water - Inland||355||450||22%||Sample: 381.|
|School of Darter - Inland||355||450||80%||Sample: 105.|
The catch rate is the approximate proportion of all catches in the area from the water/pool type that are the named fish.
- Valuable Fish - This chapter will help you catch fish of value.
- Pools and Wreckage - This chapter will help you fish among schools and floating debris.
- The Burning Crusade - Fishing changes in the first expansion.
- The Role of Skill - This topic considers the role skill plays in fishing, including how skill changes the proportion of fish that "get away".
- Zone Base Fishing Skill - This topic attempts to answer the question, what fishing skill will I need to fish in a certain zone?
- Gazetteer - This topic develops a simple gazetteer that shows which fish may be caught in which zones.
- 2.4 Changes - Patch 2.4's changes to fishing.