This page summarises how to catch Stonescale Eel. For a more detailed guide, see Catching Stonescale Eels.
About Stonescale Eel
- Alchemy: Stonescale Oil (1 fish per oil). Stonescale Oil is commonly used to make raiding potions, such as Flask of the Titans and Greater Stoneshield Potion. Prior to The Burning Crusade, it was also often used to upgrade armor sets to "Tier 0.5".
- Quest: Craftsman's Writ - Stonescale Eel for the Argent Dawn (40 fish).
Vendor Value: 10c.
Auction Value: 30s. Although far less popular now than before The Burning Crusade, Stonescale Eel are still in demand.
Catching Stonescale Eel
Detailed mapping of hard to find areas is shown below.
Time: Highest catch rate from open water 00:00-06:00.
Detailed Guide: Catching Stonescale Eels - This topic answers the question, where is the best place to catch a Stonescale Eel?
Commentary: The best time and place to catch many Stonescale Eels is in Azshara's Bay of Storms area (open water), between 00:00 and 06:00. Over 20% of the catch will be Stonescale Eel. At other times of day, pool fishing is likely to be more effective. Pool fishing is also best where the fisherman or woman has a low skill level, since Stonescale Eel can be caught from pools around much of Stranglethorn Vale. Due to the way pools appear, and the popularity of Stonescale Eel Swarms, you are likely to have to fish all other pool types in the area before Stonescale Eel Swarms start appearing.
|Water/pool type||Minimum skill||Areas||Catch Rate||Commonly caught fish|
|To cast||To avoid get aways||% of Catch||Source|
|Open Water - Coastal||205||300||6-18% ||Sample: 2848.|
|330||425||6-23% ||Sample: 1466.|
|School of Tastyfish - Coastal||130||225||5%||Sample.|
|Stonescale Eel Swarm - Coastal||130||225||80%||Sample: 155.|
- Best catch rate 00:00-06:00.
The catch rate is the approximate proportion of all catches in the area from the water/pool type that are the named fish.
- Valuable Fish - This chapter will help you catch fish of value.
- Pools and Wreckage - This chapter will help you fish among schools and floating debris.
- Variation by Time - This topic explores how catch rates for fish vary by time of day.
- Catching Stonescale Eels - This topic answers the question, where is the best place to catch a Stonescale Eel?
- The Role of Skill - This topic considers the role skill plays in fishing, including how skill changes the proportion of fish that "get away".
- Zone Base Fishing Skill - This topic attempts to answer the question, what fishing skill will I need to fish in a certain zone?
- Gazetteer - This topic develops a simple gazetteer that shows which fish may be caught in which zones.