((advertisement))

[Fishing] WotLK: Fishing and Achievements

1. I think some of the fishing achievements may have been removed/altered with this patch. I didn't have time to do a full analysis, but I could not find "Master Angler of Stranglethorn" on the list anymore. Did anyone else notice this?

2. By el <Nat Pagle's Love Child> 2 weeks ago

Schrodinger: Many of the fishing achievements were never implemented beyond the name, and almost all of them were eventually removed from the game. I suspect we will see more added after WotLK's release.

Oberweiss: I made a few changes yesterday, but I may have missed something. I certainly have "Master Angler of Stranglethorn" on beta-El's in-game achievement list. Perhaps there is a difference between EU and US servers?

I'm still writing up all the Dalaran changes (although the Fish Finder pages should be pretty accurate now). I discovered 2 new achievements, neither of which have names, nor are listed on the achievements interface - a chat message simple states "[you] has earned the achievement !":

1. Catching Giant Sewer Rat.
    2. Catching coins in the fountain. I think the achievement is for catching all the Gold Coins, but it could be for catching all the coins (including Copper Coin and Silver Coin), or even just for catching Lady Katrana Prestor's Gold Coin. All of those conditions would have been met at the time I got the achievement!

So, if anyone is planning to spend a lot of time fishing from the fountain, it might be worth tracking precisely what you are catching.

(And I'd also like to know if there is anything really rare down there. So far I have over 800 catches there, without anything unexpected. Of course there is no reason why there should be anything rare lurking, but that doesn't stop me looking ;-) .)

3. By Verissi <Angler> 2 weeks ago

Master Angler of Stranglethorn is still on my achievement list as well. The interface still scrolls in huge chunks, though, so I thought the same at first when checking.

Great updates on Dalaran fishing, El :-) I plan on spending quite a bit more time in the city fishing now that things are getting interesting there (and those silly Cuttlefish have stopped eluding me).

4. el wrote:

Oberweiss: I made a few changes yesterday, but I may have missed something. I certainly have "Master Angler of Stranglethorn" on beta-El's in-game achievement list. Perhaps there is a difference between EU and US servers?

Ah, sorry about that. Disregard my post. I probably didn't see it at first, because I was too distracted with what they did to my face (before, after).

5. By el <Nat Pagle's Love Child> 1 week ago

Tigole:

"Dalaran coin and fishing achievements will be in an upcoming build (maybe the next build - we're so many builds ahead of beta at this point I lose track)."

Update: The latest beta client has these in the data files:

• A Penny For Your Thoughts - Fish up the copper coins listed below from the Dalaran fountain.
    • Silver in the City - Fish up the silver coins listed below from the Dalaran fountain.
    • There's Gold In That There Fountain - Fish up the gold coins listed below from the Dalaran fountain.
    • I Smell A Giant Rat - Fish up the Giant Sewer Rat from The Underbelly in Dalaran.

Looks like there is a new title too, for catching all the coins: "Titanium Seal of Dalaran". Obviously that needs to be confirmed in-game. It seems relatively easy to gain, merely requiring the willpower to stare at a fountain for several hours. [Edit:] Seems more likely the Titanium Seal of Dalaran is an item, not a title.

6. Keen (wow) angler that I am I've obviously been preparing for the expansion by trying to get all the fishing achievements done that I can. So I've been looking at doing The One That Didn't Get Away. Sadly I've caught a couple of Rockhide Strongfish in the past but given them away to guidies to use in various screenies, so I'm still working on it. But I was wondering, does it have to be a 68 Pound Grouper or will the 47 Pound Grouper I caught in STV the other day still get me the achievement?

Silky

7. By el <Nat Pagle's Love Child> 1 week ago

As far as I am aware, The One That Didn't Get Away is not retrospective. Since none of this is live yet, I would not try and catch any of these items - you will have to catch them once achievements are in the live game.

The achievements are for the specific fish listed. So in your example, only the 68 Pound Grouper.

8. el wrote:

As far as I am aware, The One That Didn't Get Away is not retrospective. Since none of this is live yet, I would not try and catch any of these items - you will have to catch them once achievements are in the live game.
    The achievements are for the specific fish listed. So in your example, only the 68 Pound Grouper.

I have also found that The One That Didn't Get Away is not retroactively applied to your achievements. For example, I caught the Rockhide Strongfish and immediately equipped it, which makes it soulbound, and I did not get credit for the achievement on beta. I know I have caught other non-binding "pound fish," specifically the 103 Pound Mightfish, and those also did not count toward the achievement.

Unfortunately, we must catch at least one of these rare fish again (after the achievements are implemented) if we are to earn credit for this achievement.

9. By Petre <Angler> 1 week ago

Items that are tradeable absolutely won't count towards acidvements. This is why you guys didn't recieve credit for it, since all you'd need to do is head to the AH and pick one up otherwise.

I'm really excited about all the fishing achievents in Wrath, finally my favorite WoW hobby is getting some love!

10. By C Rage <Angler> 1 week ago

el wrote:

Tigole:

"Dalaran coin and fishing achievements will be in an upcoming build (maybe the next build - we're so many builds ahead of beta at this point I lose track)."

Update: The latest beta client has these in the data files:

• A Penny For Your Thoughts - Fish up the copper coins listed below from the Dalaran fountain.
    • Silver in the City - Fish up the silver coins listed below from the Dalaran fountain.
    • There's Gold In That There Fountain - Fish up the gold coins listed below from the Dalaran fountain.
    • I Smell A Giant Rat - Fish up the Giant Sewer Rat from The Underbelly in Dalaran.

Looks like there is a new title too, for catching all the coins: "Titanium Seal of Dalaran". Obviously that needs to be confirmed in-game. It seems relatively easy to gain, merely requiring the willpower to stare at a fountain for several hours. [Edit:] Seems more likely the Titanium Seal of Dalaran is an item, not a title.

I can confirm, at least on the PTR that all of these achivements are in place. Naturally since the PTR does not have access to the city, but I can confirm I see it on the achievement window. :)

11. By el <Nat Pagle's Love Child> 6 days ago

The Old Gnome and Sea just triggered for me from open water. I caught an Oily Blackmouth. I have a hunch that this isn't coded as a catch from a pool, rather a catch of any fish that can be caught from a pool. Any confirmation would be useful, particularly for other fish that can be caught from open water and pools.

12. By Baiya <Angler> 6 days ago

I managed to get "The Coin Master" Achievement this night. The reward is a blue quality Coin sent by Jepetto Joybuzz, a "Titanium Seal of Dalaran". You can flip this coin and it shows either "Head up" or "Face down". (Achievement: http://666kb.com/i/b2cd75buffh0uhpb7.png , Mail from Jepetto Joybuzz: http://666kb.com/i/b2cd5ivzya4yfaa1v.png , Flipping the Coin: http://666kb.com/i/b2cctoiaccjv88pr7.png ).

I'm sorry that i can't provide details how much and how long I fished and how the drop percentages were. All in all i think i fished about 6-8 hours in the Dalaran Fountain.

You must log in to post.